Are you a physician, clinical psychologist, speech therapist, physical therapist, or another healthcare provider in a solo practice? Don’t overlook the simple stuff like Privacy forms! Between HIPAA Privacy Regulations (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) and other federal and state laws, there are at least 5 main forms related to privacy alone. If you are used to practicing in a larger practice, you may not have had to spend much time thinking about these forms in your day-to-day practice. As you start your new practice you’ll need to be sure you have all your ducks in a row from professional liability insurance to the right privacy and intake forms.
Some of the main forms you’ll need may include:
- A patient intake form that catches the appropriate patient information including the reason for their visit, any applicable insurance coverage (if you decide to take insurance) and other key information you need to provide your services.
- A Privacy Notice that complies with HIPAA and state regulations. If you have a website for your practice, you’ll need the notice to be available on the site as well as in the office.
- A Privacy Notice Patient Acknowledgment to document you provided the Privacy Notice to the patient.
- A Disclosure to Family and Friends form that makes it clear with whom you can discuss a patient’s condition.
- An Authorization for Release of Medical Records that complies with HIPAA and state regulations and spells out to whom you may send a copy of a patient’s medical records.
- A concise Business Associate Agreement to use with all business associates as defined by HIPAA.
- An Informed consent form that complies with state requirements.
Many of these forms are essential to comply with the basic requirements of HIPAA and the Virginia Health Records Privacy Act and not having these forms can get you in some hot water with federal and state regulatory agencies and even the attorney general. Not having the proper forms can also give your clients the impression you do not know what you are doing and that can be detrimental to your practice.
Linden Legal Strategies offers a Privacy Package that includes a Privacy Notice for use on websites and in paper form, patient acknowledgment form, authorization for release of medical records form, disclosure of information to family and friends form, and a business associate agreement. We can also help you customize your patient intake and informed consent forms to best suit your practice. Do you have the proper forms in place for your practice? Contact us to learn more.
*This list is not intended to be and is not comprehensive.